OhioSpyderman (Bob Stirling)
3SI Member #1128
I've been a VR4 owner for the past 17 years. It started as an attraction to a new 1991 Galant VR4 in 1993 (it had sat on the lot with ~400 miles for over a year). The day I drove it, I knew I had to own it. From there, my affliction lead me from one turbo to two....I couldnt get enough. In 1997, a Black 1994 3000GT VR4 got under my skin....again a single test drive was all it took. Two weeks later, I was admiring it nightly in my garage.
The problem got worse, when I felt the desire to go topless. All this talk of "Spyders" on the board was too much to ignore. When my wife asked (by email) what I wanted for my 44th birthday, my only response was a picture of a RED SPYDER VR4. Her response rocked my existance....."if you want it...get it...just sell yours first". Words only a junkie could appreciate.
My desire turned into a full fledged search and acquire mission, which lead me to Philadelphia, and my Black Beauty to Missouri. On February 23rd, 2001 I signed the papers for my baby at Conicelli Nissan (strangely enough), under the watchful eyes of my East Coast friends (Hans, Omar, Frank, Kevin and Jesse....thanks again you guys ( and girlie :-) ) . A quick post purchase party at King of Prussia HOOTERS (boy I hate when we go there) and I was back on the road home.
It is without a doubt, THE car of my dreams.
In the years since my May 2001 ROTM and 2001 ROTY wins the following upgrades have been made to the car (in no general order):
- Sold the stock 17” 5 spoke chrome wheels and purchased a set of used stock 18” 6 spoke chrome wheels.
- Installed a Blitz SBC-iD boost controller
- Installed a Borla quad carbon fiber tipped cat back exhaust.
- Installed a Greddy type S BOV (which has just recently been replaced by a Tial knockoff.
- Installed JimVR4’s alarm/top controller system which allows for remote start and remote top function capability.
- Installed a Cianci Viper fiberglass hood (just recently added a set of 3SX low tension hood struts!)
- Installed low and fog HID lights (6000K, 35W)
- Hours and hours of time spent under the hood and on the body J
The car now has just over 103,000 miles on it and honestly looks better than the day I bought it.
It STILL is the car of my dreams....