Door: Repair Window Regulator
Just getting this one started as I did not take pictures of the process, hopefully someone else will add pictures.
- Lower your window down about 1/2 way. After you do step 2 you may need to adjust the height to access the window bolts before removing the panel electrically
- Remove the door panel. Video's and wiki's already exist for this.
- Prop the window with a board under the window slightly toward the back.
- Remove the 2 long (10mm) bolts that attach the regulator to the window. They are located about 2 inches up from the bottom of the window.
- Remove the screws that hold the 4 (10mm) bolts that hold the regulator at he top and bottom.
- Remove the 3 screws that hold the motor to the door.
- Unplug the motor.
- Carefully rotate the regulator until it can be removed. Might help to have a helper lift the window up off of the regulator.
- Observe the end pulley orientation. The top pulley should be parallel to the motion of the regulator slide. Mine was bent 90 degrees.
- Carefully work the Teflon pulley and Teflon assembly so that it is parallel to the motion of the regulator slide. This can be difficult due to the tension on the cables. One cable should go around the pulley and the other should go along the outside curved guide.
- Once it is in position clamp it with a set of vise-grips or other clamp.
- Next you need to fabricate a backing plate to hold the Teflon bracket and pulley straight while under load. I used an old drawer slide. I bought 2 #10 bolts and a couple locking nuts from the hardware store. I bolted through the indentation locations on metal part of the regulator. Also, I bought 1/4" long aluminum spacers. Have seen other people do this differently, but this worked for me. The main goal is to keep the upper teflon bracket from flopping over and binding the cables up.
After you are satisfied with the bracket, clean and lubricate the regulator slide and put everything back in. Once again you may need hand lifting the window so the regulator can be slid back into place.